History of Monroe Township - History of Monroe PDF Print E-mail
Article Index
History of Monroe Township
History of Monroe
All Pages

 

The following is a partial list of the early settlers,

  • Doug Hill
  • Frederick Bonenberg,
  • John G Peterson
  • John Lambright
  • Mordecai Williams
  • Abraham Baughman
  • Adam Wolfe
  • Frederick Switzer
  • Robert Stewart & William Stewart
  • William Ray
  • William McLaughlin
  • Thomas Rigdon
  • William Ferguson
  • Thomas McBride
  • Jeremiah Smart
  • Thomas Pope
  • Daniel Balliett
  • Andrew Richey
  • Michael Huffman
  • Ebenezer Smith
  • John Iler
  • Melzer Coulter
  • David Schrack & Charles Schrack
  • David Ellis
  • Frederick Cromer
  • Dabid Crawford
  • Christian Good
  • John Douglas
  • Solomon Gladden
  • William McDanal

The first election in the township was held in 1817, and resulted in the election of J.G. Peterson, William McLaughlin and David Ellis as trustees and Andrew Richey as Lister. Ten votes were cast.

The first grist mill was erected in 1820 by Peter Zerby. This was the Octorora mills, and was situated near where the Pennsylvania railroad crosses the Rockyfork.