History of Monroe Township PDF Print E-mail
Article Index
History of Monroe Township
History of Monroe
All Pages

Monroe township is six miles square and was organized February 11, 1817. The surface is broken, but the land is generally fertile, productive of crops upon uplands and valleys. The township has abundant water supply, both of running streams and flowing springs. The Clearfork of Mohican flows across the southeast corner; the Blackfork across the northeast part; the Rockyfork though the norther part, and Switzer's run diagonally through the southwest part of the township. Of the gushing springs, Schrack's, on the northeast quarter of section 34, and Sheehy spring on the southeast quarter of section 22, have the greatest outputs. A few of those flow are: Switzer's on the southeast quarter of section 34; Douglass', at Green Gables, and the Kinments, on the southwest quarter of section 22.

The first settler was David Hill, who built the first cabin the the township. The site of this cabin is on the southwest quarter of section 9, where Silas Rummel now lives.